Church of Elevation of Holy Cross

The temple was erected as a proof of grace of the catholic Emperor of Austria for the Silesian evangelicals. Under the arrangement concluded in Altranstädt after a religious war they were granted the right to build six churches in Silesia which at that time was under Austrian rule.  
The design of the temple was prepared by the architect, Martin Frantz of Tallin.  The construction works lasted nine years (1709-1718) and the newly built church was deceptively similar to its prototype - St. Catherine’s Church in Stockholm (the work of the same designer). The structure was erected on the plan of a cross and topped with a dome.  
The interior was equipped with a three-storey matronea which could accommodate more than 2 thousand members of the congregation.  The railings were adorned with citations and paintings displaying scenes from the Old and New Testament.  The altar together with the organ front placed over it make up an extended, beautifully adorned architectural form. 
The high-class instrument founded by a wealthy burgher, Christian Menzel, even today manages to retain a delightful sound. Similarly the sandstone pulpit and the marble front is the equal of the other interior elements as regards the craftsmanship.  
The park surrounding the church was formerly a cemetery.  The complex of the 18th century tombs of wealthy burghers and their families is the only remaining element of the cemetery.  
There are contemporary statues and a geographical centre point of the city on the area belonging to the church.
After visiting the Garrison Church, we go back to 1 Maja Street and turn left passing the magnificent seat of the Jelenia Góra Culture Centre, formerly the Brown Deer Hotel. We cross Wojska Polskiego Street and turn right into Jana Kochanowskiego Street and after a few-minute walk we arrive at the building which currently houses the Secondary School Complex No. 1.